Friday, March 23, 2012

The State Department Store


After some urging from the Salt Lake crowd we've decided to post more pictures of UB. I have been holding back and only posting things that are unique to Mongolia. But I have decided it might be a good idea to give people a view of what daily life is like here. So today in search of a Mongolian- English, English-Mongolian dictionary I went to the State Department Store. In Mongolian it is called "Ikh Delguur" which literally means "Big Shop". While it is no longer owned by the State, for many it retains the name. Now it is owned by Nomin. This is a company that owns most of our Mongolian shopping world. There is Nomin Wholesale (Mongolian Costco) and Nomin Grocery store. You see the brand EVERYWHERE. Ikh Delguur is the closest thing that we have to a mall. There is another department store in UB called The Grand Plaza. That is where I buy Oxy-Clean and visit a cafe that serves fresh Kiwi juice.

While I was there I fell in love with a piece of Mongolian Calligraphy.



I was really excited about it, that is until I spoke with Patrick on the phone. He pointed out that we would never have a place to put calligraphy that big. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea what it says.

One more thing about today... It was WARM. I didn't wear my coat when I came out of the department store. It was 36 degrees F!!!! It was sunny. (It is sunny every day... this is a desert.) And, the sky was clear.

No comments: