Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Milk



I do not like UHT milk it tastes like the milk is burned or has turned to cheese. But something vile has definitely been done to it. UHT milk seems to be popular here. The stores are full of it. I was frustrated with this and decided to ask Erka (Our driver and expert in all things Mongolia) if he knew where to get good milk. He was so excited that I wanted "real" milk that he showed up to work the next day with 4 liters of milk in an "I love New York" bag. Evidently the word "yyc", pronounced like the "os" in Joseph means milk. And there are milk shops situated throughout UB. He proudly handed me the bag and proclaimed that the cow had been milked ten minutes ago. That's when it dawned on me that this was completely unpasteurized milk.



I was worried about trying it because I am pregnant... so I decided to just have a small taste for the sake of it. At first it tasted great in my mouth. But the longer that I had it in my mouth the longer that IT TASTED LIKE GRASS! Alex tried it and loved it. He thinks Mongolia has the best sunrises (Pollution turns the sky bright orange in the mornings.) and now the best milk. He can't get enough of it. When Patrick came home from work he tried it. He scrunched up his nose and declared, "it tastes like manure..." the jury is still out as to whether or not we will get this for cooking and Alex. But in the last four days Alex has had 1.5 liters by himself and he is not ill... yet. So now I am wondering, I don't like fresh milk, I don't like UHT milk... Do I like milk?

5 comments:

Brooke Jarrett said...

I think I'd have to pass on milk that tastes like grass or manure, lol!

And, you're pregnant!!!! Congratulations! So happy for you guys! When are you due?

Alisa and Crowells said...

I'd rather it taste more like grass! :) Spain drinks UHT milk all the time, too. Not a fan.
Woo- hooo on the pregnant news! How far along are you?
yyc, yyc....and I love that it came in an I heart NY bag.

Anne said...

i'd worry about unpasteurized, uncooked milk, even if alex is fine. the problems it would cause you/baby wouldn't show up in him.

Naketa said...

I ♥ fresh milk. My parents have a cow and I love going home and drinking GALLONS of the stuff. Sometimes it does taste funny though--but it seems like if you can get it from cow to fridge quickly that is the main factor to taste. Good luck! And Congratulations!

Sabriel said...

Other countries always have weird milk. Well I guess the U.S. does too. I've always wanted to try fresh milk, as a kid I thought it smelled gross so never tried it. It all seems so awesome! I want to come visit!