Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blackberries

We are moving to Great Grandma Bertha's house to help take care of it. The other day Alex discovered overgrown Black berry bushes hanging over the fence. The result has been three days of scrapes, cuts and scratches. Sarah, my friend and raspberry expert, helped me trim them back and we got about a gallon of blackberries. My half of the berries quickly became pie and jam. We'll have to see what became of Sarah's half.




While we were working we found peas which had died on the vine... oh well better luck next year. We also found apricots grapes and pears, not yet ripe. My Grandpa has been gone for seven years, and his garden is completely overgrown. There are trash trees and waist high grasses, roses gone wild and Iris spreading into the grass. Finding this fruit has been like discovering treasures that my Grandpa has left for me. Thank you Grandpa! Oh, and Dad, thanks for letting me borrow the pie plates!

1 comment:

Alisa and Crowells said...

Looks SO delicious! I've heard blackberry bushes are the MOST brutal of them all! Blackberry pie sounds so good right now I just want to lift the plate right out of that picture. :)