Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chilllllllin' in Mongolia



Yes it is cold here. But in general it's not that bad. There is a saying here that once you get to ten degrees below zero it all feels about the same. And in general I agree with this statement. Is it strange that we are hoping that the temperature reaches -50... just so that we can say that we lived in -50 degree weather. We are embracing the cold and taking it in stride. The first day we got here I was embarrassed because we walked outside with Winter boots, face masks, full length down coats, ski hats and gloves... while the guy walking next to me on the street was wearing an open sports coat no hat or gloves. Since then I have come to terms with the fact that Mongolians are way, way tougher than me. Since then I have learned that the number of layers I need to wear depends on how far I am walking outside. The longer I am out, the more layers I need to wear. Sometimes this backfires. For example, tonight we planned on having transport drive us to a restaurant for dinner. I wore a dress and left with out a hat, scarf or gloves. When the restaurant was closed... we drove to another restaurant which was walking distance from our hotel. After dinner we ended up walking back to the hotel-outside with no gloves or hats and Alex had no snow pants.



We came up with a solution. Patrick could wear Alex inside his coat to keep the little dude extra warm. (the temp was -30) One thing I have learned for certain... wet hair no matter how sunny it is outside... freezes instantly. So, I try now not to go out until my hair is dry. Thank goodness for short hair. Another thing I learned: it is cold in Ulaanbaatar... but when it is windy... you can actually feel the cells freezing on your forehead one by one... and you can feel the cold seeping through your ski hat. When it is really cold and you walk inside your clothes actually act to insulate the cold in... so I take off my jacket and hat as quickly as possible. And then I don't go back outside until it isn't windy anymore.



One comment about bags... I have new found sympathy for Corey and Alisa when they moved to the UK... they had what seemed like a million bags... well... I have to say it is weird writing on a customs form, "we are entering the country with 12 bags (plus my purse)"

4 comments:

Alisa and Crowells said...

Wow! I just shiver looking at those pictures...-30!!!!!! That is unimaginably cold!
Luggage...there's no way of escaping it in all its forms....:)

Brooke Jarrett said...

Wow, can't believe how cold it is! Tried calling you a few weeks ago but I must have missed you all. Can't wait to read all about your adventures!

Alli said...

Patricia!!!!! This is so amazing! I can't believe you are in Mongolia. You must must must post all the time. It is so fun to read what it's like there and what you've been up to. Miss you and your adorable family!

Taryn said...

Looks like a fun adventure. I'm not sure I'd ever step outside at those temperatures. The boiling water turning to snow is awesome! Hugs from Dallas!!